Sunday, May 19, 2013

Out of the Silent Planet

Out of the Silent Planet, by CS Lewis

So maybe it's been seven months since my last book review... maybe I've been exhausted and watching too much Friends and sleeping and moving from house to house. 

Regardless.  This rather short novel took me a shameful amount of time to read.  My mind needed to be reoriented to read A) fiction, and B) sci-fi.  I really take for granted the fact that genres must be read differently, and I've been reading non-fiction like it's my job.  

Supposedly, this trilogy was born of a discussion between Jack and his friend Tolkien, lamenting the state of contemporary fiction.  Sigh, Jack.  Glad you're not around to see what they're putting out nowadays.

It's almost not necessary to comment on Jack's lush and imaginative descriptions.  I so appreciate the way he paints a scene into the reader's mind... even if the scene is so other.  I got lost in Malacandra.  

I'll be honest, this book started strong for me, got sleepy in the middle parts, and then it was all made worth it with the conversation/interrogation between Oyarsa and Ransom at the end.  Read it.  You'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment